top of page
  • Writer's pictureLOTG

What Is Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

Underinsured Motorist San Francisco

Being involved in an auto accident is stressful enough, but imagine if the other driver doesn’t have enough insurance coverage to cover your damages. Or worse, they don’t have any insurance coverage at all! Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on your insurance policy helps protect you from such a situation. This type of coverage is reasonably priced through most carriers, and indeed can be incredibly useful when you are involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault.

Two Types of Uninsured/Underinsured Coverage Options

When you are looking at uninsured/underinsured coverage options, you may hear about two main types offered:

  1. Uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage (UMBI)

  2. Uninsured/underinsured motorist property damage coverage (UMPD)

The difference is UMBI will provide coverage for treatment, medical expenses, lost wages, and other injury-related expenses. UMBI also includes coverage for injuries caused by a hit-and-run accident. Your insurance company would step into the shoes of the responsible insurance and pay you the full value of your case up to the limits that you purchase.

UMPD will provide coverage for the damage to your car and any repair or replacement costs.

Why Should I Get Uninsured/Underinsured Bodily Injury Coverage?

There is a large number of uninsured drivers on the road every day. A survey taken in 2012 showed that 1 in 8 drivers in the United States is uninsured. With extra coverage, you are protecting yourself from a potential reimbursement nightmare.

Who Is Covered By Uninsured/Underinsured Bodily Injury Coverage?

This coverage will protect residents of your household, even those that do not drive such as your children or elderly parents.

Does Uninsured/Underinsured Bodily Injury Coverage Only Apply When I am Driving?

In most situations the coverage will apply even if you are not driving a vehicle. You can be a pedestrian, driver or passenger. For example, if you are struck by an uninsured driver while crossing the street, you will be covered by the uninsured motorist coverage on your policy. Your policy will also apply if your child is riding a bicycle and is involved in a hit and run accident.

Is Uninsured/Underinsured Coverage Required?

In California, you are not required by state law to have uninsured/underinsured coverage on your auto policy.

What If Insurance Doesn’t Pay?

If you have uninsured/underinsured coverage and you have been involved in an accident, you need the help of an experienced personal injury attorney. Having a strong advocate is key to getting insurance companies to pay. At the Law Offices of Tanya Gomerman, we have seen time-and-time again, insurance companies trying to dodge fulfilling their policies. After sustaining injuries, the last thing you need to do is fight the insurance company. Leave that to us.

If you have been involved in a recent auto accident in San Francisco and need help, contact our team today. Call 415-545-8608 for a FREE attorney consultation.

27 views0 comments


bottom of page