top of page
  • Writer's pictureLOTG

Car Accident Claims Involving Leased Vehicles

Updated: May 1

Being involved in a car accident can be incredibly stressful. When you own a car, the process seems straightforward. However, when you lease a vehicle, there are some differences in handling your car accident claim. The best way to handle an accident is to speak to an experienced attorney, but here are a few steps you should take first.

At the Accident Scene

Safety is, first and foremost, your biggest priority. If you are injured, make sure to call emergency services to get the medical care you need. Even if you don’t feel any pain, it is essential that you are thoroughly checked by a medical professional. Sometimes injuries don’t show up for days or weeks after your accident.

If you are able, document the accident scene by taking pictures and getting witness contact information. When you have a moment, sit and write down everything you remember about how the accident occurred. All this information will be crucial in making your claim.

How to Report Your Accident

Just like if you owned your vehicle, you are required to carry insurance. The vast majority of lease agreements require that you notify the insurance company, as well as the car dealership or leasing agent, that you have been involved in an accident.

After you make the appropriate phone calls, you will be instructed where to take your vehicle to assess the cost of the damage. Some leased cars have particular rules on where you can take the car for a damage assessment and repairs. Make sure you double-check with your leasing agent if there are any specific requirements.

How to File a Claim

The best way to start pursuing a claim for your injuries is to speak with a car accident attorney like Tanya Gomerman. The insurance company is unlikely to provide you with a fair deal unless legal counsel represents you. Make sure to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney before accepting any settlement offer.

Have you been involved in a car accident with a leased vehicle? Contact Gomerman | Bourn & Associates for a free case evaluation. Call 415 545 8608 today.

24 views0 comments


bottom of page